Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Monkey and Monkey Temple

I have been meaning to write about my trip to Hampi. It took a plane, train, and bus, about 14 hours of traveling, to get there. I was hesitant about going at first, because I had never heard of it and had other places I wanted to see, like Kerala and the Golden Triangle, but my friend wanted to go and I'm glad we did. It was so beautiful with all its ancient ruins and stunning scenery. I think the pictures are better than any story I can tell so I'll just say we spent two nights there. One day we toured the ruins and the next we crossed the river and climbed 600 steps to visit the temple on the top of a hill. Hampi is definitely a highlight of India for me.

Real Korean writing, and the good penmanship indicates it was written by Koreans. I mean unless you read Korean you wouldn't know it says "Korean Restaurant" and lists tasty Korean dishes. Excited, we checked it out and it had some Korean food on the menu but wasn't authentic.

Virupaksha temple.

Greedy monkey inside the temple that SPRINTED at my friend who wisely and quickly threw the bananas on the ground.

Tungabhadra River.

Other side of the river.

Everything had engravings, even the rocks in the river.

Big Ganesha among the ruins.

Old city ruins.

Engraving on Vittala Temple.

More engravings.

On my 5km bike ride from the river to the Monkey Temple on Anjenaya Hill.

The 600 steps to the top of the hill, the Monkey Temple is that white building at the top.

After 600 steps, the view is worth it! Also, there were grubby monkeys everywhere.


Different view from the Monkey Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment